Playwrights Only: Write about Lagos and receive 5 million Naira publishing contract
This play writing competition is, unapologetically, Lagos-centric. To compete, you must boldly buy into the spirit and essence of Lagos; past, present and future. The competition seeks to unearth fresh body of literary works that celebrate the vibrancy of Lagos. Clearly, this new body of works will enrich Nigerian literary vault aside the attendant economic and social imperatives concomitant to it.
Winning playwright will receive 5 million naira publishing contract.
1st runner up will get 2.5 million naira.
2nd runner up will receive 1 million naira.
All three plays will be performed by the Akete Theatre Festival where prizes will be handed out to winners.
- It is open to all playwrights provided entry meets set criteria.
- No playwright may enter more than one play.
- All competition entry plays must be original work of the playwright and must be directly entered into the competition by the playwright.
- Only unpublished plays qualify for entry into Akete Play Writing Competition.
All entries for the competition must explore Lagos themes and culture(s).
- Cover page should provide play title, playwright’s name and a short synopsis of the play.
- Last page should provide information about the playwright.
- Each entry must be submitted as a (i) Word Document and (ii) PDF Document. Both documents must be attached to the same email.
- Email Subject should read 2017 PLAY SUBMISSION, PLAY TITLE BY PLAYWRIGHT’S NAME. Example: 2017 PLAY SUBMISSION, RAGING RIOT by RAFIU ROBERTSON
All entries must be received at the Akete Festival Office (through email) not later than August 31st 2017 by 5p.m. (Local time).
Winning plays will be announced in October.
The decision of the Akete Play writing Competition Assessors (APCA) is final.
All playwrights are advised to keep their original manuscripts as Akete will not be returning any play script entered for the competition irrespective of whether the play script wins or loses.
Liability and Rights
Contestant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Contest Organisers, their parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, officers, directors, employees, interns, and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debts, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees) arising from (i) violation of these Official Contest Rules; (ii) violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, trademark, intellectual property, privacy, publicity, or other proprietary right in connection with the contest; or (iii) any claim that a contest submission caused any harm, including financial, to any third party. These indemnification and hold harmless obligations will survive indefinitely beyond the conclusion of the contest.
Visit http://akete.ng/akete-play-writing-competition/ to submit your plays.